Thursday, February 24, 2011

On a positive note, while it's on my mind

I just recieved a care visit from my dad. He's a champ for making his way all the way through the woods and across the sea ice to my desolate little corner of the world, a journey which has unnerved many of my hardier friends. His gift basket contained a substantial meal, which I decimated in minutes. He also came lugging the highly important gift of fifty litres of fresh water. I don't need much, but without drinking water my life gets pretty desperate pretty fast.

We spent the time talking, as there is little else to do around here, and five hours passed in a flash. My old man has accumulated considerable wisdom, and now I'm more grateful than ever that he saw fit to dispense me a good dollop from his seemingly never-ending supply. Those of you who didn't find your way in here by googling "gift basket" or "substantial meal", but rather have been coming here for some time, might have realized that much of the conversation was about anger management (I hesitate to say "problems"). While we don't always agree on everything, he has an uncanny knack for making me see things from a new angle.

Earlier today, I made the snap decision to revert to writing in English. Yesterday I pissed off a good portion of the Norwegian speaking boating public, and I was never one for winning anyone back, so I might as well switch audiences again. Norwegian is such a bland language anyway.

3 comments:

  1. You are enjoying my unlimited admiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know I just returned from exercise. Been reading your posts now with growing degrees of anger and sadness. I started crying when I read this. How sweet and heartwarming of Dad. Visiting tomorrow with more MRE's. Until then, <3.

    ReplyDelete